Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Fire Prevention Week, October 7-13, 2012
Fire Prevention in the Kitchen

The mission of the international nonprofit NFPA, established in 1896, is to reduce the worldwide burden of fire and other hazards on the quality of life by providing and advocating consensus codes and standards, research, training, and education.

NFPA is the world's leading advocate of fire prevention and an authoritative source on public safety. The association develops, publishes, and disseminates more than 300 consensus codes and standards intended to minimize the possibility and effects of fire and other risks.

Fire Prevention in the Kitchen
Is my kitchen safe?

Cooking Fire Prevention

Can you name at least five Fire Hazards
in the photograph? 

  1. Stay alert. If you've consumed alcohol or taken medication that makes you drowsy - Do not cook. 
  2. Leading cause of fire in the kitchen is unattended cooking. If you leave the kitchen for even a short period of time, turn off the stove. Use a timer to remind you that you’re cooking. 
  3. Keep items that can catch fire away from heat sources, such as oven gloves, towels, wood, plastic, etc... Wear short, close-fitting or tightly rolled sleeves when cooking. Loose clothing can catch on fire if it comes in contact with a flame or an electric burner. 
  4. Keep the stovetop, burners, and oven clean. 
  5. Grease Fire: Always keep a lid nearby when you’re cooking. If a small grease fire starts in a pan, smother the flames by sliding a lid over the pan. Turn off the burner. Do not move the pan or lid until the pan is completely cool. Never pour water on a grease fire. Never discharge a fire extinguisher onto a pan fire; it can spray or shoot burning grease around the kitchen and spread the fire. 
  6. Oven Fire. Turn off the heat and keep the door closed until it is cool. The oven should be checked and/or serviced before using it again. 
  7. When in doubt, just get out! Make sure you close the door behind you to help contain the fire. After you leave, call 911 and meet in your designated meeting place. 
  8. Only use a fire extinguisher if you are trained. 
  9. Create a safety area for children and pets. At least 3 feet from the stove and areas where hot food or drink is prepared or served. Never hold a child while you are cooking, eating or drinking hot foods or liquids. 
  10. Plug cooking appliances directly into an outlet. Never use an extension cord for a cooking appliance. It can overload the circuit and cause a fire. Check electrical cords for cracks, breaks, damage, or overheating. Call a professional repair person and replace the appliance, if necessary. 
  11. Place or install a microwave oven at a safe height within easy reach of all users. Always supervise children when they are using the microwave oven. Use only microwave-safe cookware. Never use aluminum foil or metal objects in a microwave oven. Open microwaved food slowly and away from the face. Hot steam can escape from a microwaved container of food and can cause burns. Never heat a baby bottle in a microwave oven. 
  12. Propane, charcoal, and wood pellet barbecue grills must only be used outdoors. Indoor use can be deadly due to either a fire or carbon monoxide poisoning. Place a grill away from siding and deck railings and out from under eaves and overhanging branches. Do not store or use a grill on a porch or balcony, including any porch or balcony on an upper level of the building. Place the grill a safe distance from lawn furniture, games, and play areas. Use long-handled grilling tools. Never leave a barbecue grill unattended.
The week is fire prevention week, October 7-13. My son and I wanted to thank the Coral Springs EMT for going above and beyond to help us. The CS Medical Center turned us away when Jake's wheelchair ran out of power. The CS Fire Dept assisted Jake and offered to recharge his wheelchair and provide him with food. This was during Hurricane Wilma, when we were out of power for over a week. Thank you. We will forever remember your kindness.

No comments: