Pages

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Calories Count - The Twinkie Diet

Mark Haub, a Kansas State University professor participated in an experiment to prove calories count. He was not studying the quality of the diet; as Haub mentioned he does not recommend this way of eating.



This is an argument I’ve used numerous times to show some diet claims are not based on science or logic. Through the years I participated in numerous weight loss programs where I’ve been told "if I don’t eat everything I won’t lose weight". Many consumers believe this to be true.

Between 1974 and 1976, I volunteered to be in a weight loss experiment. This is an example of the foods I ate in one day. In a year and a half I took off 103 pounds. I would later become a registered dietitian and receive my doctorate degree in Nutrition Education.

Calories      Foods
130              1 cup Cereal, Cheerios  
 90               1 cup Milk, nonfat/skim, w/vit A-D
 69               1 med Orange
 84               2 sl lite Bread, whole wheat
10                2 Tbsp Salsa                        
 81               1/2 cup Cottage Cheese, 1% fat
 75               1/2 cup Pineapple, crushed w/juice
 18               2 cup Salad, mixed greens 
 10               2 Tbsp Salsa
150              1 pc Twinkie, Hostess
 54               1 cup Cantaloupe, fresh, cubes
155              3 oz Salmon, Grilled
 27               1 cup Green Beans 
 20               1 cup Broccoli, florets
 18               2 cup Salad, mixed greens
 10               2 Tbsp Salsa 
150              1 Ice Cream Sandwich

Summary of the Nutritional Content of the Meals from Above
Calories 1124
Protein 66 g
Fat 22 g
Cholesterol 95 mg 
Carbohydrates 177 g
Dietary Fiber 22 g
Total Sugars 99 g
Vitamin A  15,725 IU
Vitamin C 278 mg
Calcium 806 mg
Iron 17 mg
Sodium 1788 mg

The food plan lacks essential nutrients, but I was able to include some of my favorite foods without feeling guilty.

From the study, I learned how to deal with cravings and incorporate foods I enjoy in controlled portions. As time went on, I would choose healthier foods to replace the daily intake of Twinkies and ice cream sandwiches.

Calories Do Count!
Use them Wisely.




No comments: