3. Enhance the ability of healthcare providers, including community pharmacists and physicians, to promote the mission of eliminating skin cancer.
1. Sun exposure causes most of the wrinkles and age spots on our faces and is the number one cause of skin cancer.
2. Apply sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of 15 or greater 30 minutes before sun exposure and then every few hours thereafter.
3. Select cosmetic products and contact lenses that offer UV protection.
4. Wear sunglasses with total UV protection
5. Wear wide-brimmed hats, long sleeved shirts and pants
6. Avoid direct sun exposure as much as possible during peak UV radiation hours between 10:00 am and 3:00 pm.
7. Perform skin self-exams regularly to become familiar with existing growths and to notice any changes or new growths
8. As a parent, be a good role model and foster skin cancer prevention habits in your child
9. Avoid tanning beds